Condottieri

Suspicious "Battleship" diplomacy

14 Apr, 2019 12:18

In an active "Gunboat" diplomacy game HRE supported a Venice army to convoy an army and attack an adjacent province(to HRE). A very unlikely uncoordinated move. Behind the scenes chatting/cheating? Or lucky guess? Very suspicious. < Captain >

Edited 16 Apr, 2019 07:22
16 Apr, 2019 03:33

I know that I do not have the best record to comment on sportsmanship, but I think that this situation is truly unfair for other players (including me). Neither the deployment of the armies of the HRE nor the fact that this support involved a convoy, allows us to suppose that this maneuver is fortuitous.

In other gunboat games I've been in, I was able to "wink" other players and get non-aggression pacts; and I believe that this procedure is still valid within the spirit of the rules of the gunboat. I could even know in the comments of another game that Buttburp was also in this, and we have not exchanged any kind of messages between us.

I know I'm still a rookie, but I think there's a mayor difference between gunships and open games; and to want to disregard that division is, at least for me, as valid as wanting to play handball in the middle of a football game. It is simply out of place

16 Apr, 2019 07:24

Thanks for your response Carduaraz. We will find out when the game ends who is behind this nonsense. It is indeed against the spirit of the game.

17 Apr, 2019 00:26

Cuando jugaba Diplomacy por email, sin prensa, nos comunicábamos enviando ordenes "raras" a las unidades. Un texto de esa época que trata el tema http://uk.diplom.org/pouch/Zine/W1995A/Szykman/NoPress.html

17 Apr, 2019 06:59

Gracias olbaP. Hay mucho que leer, pero me lo estudiare. I have looked at the past orders to that game and this is what I found: Summer/ Venice - The fleet in Upper Adriatic must convoy the army in Ferrara to Istria. HRE - The army in Carniola supports the fleet in Upper Adriatic to go to Istria. Fall/ Venice - The fleet in Upper Adriatic must convoy the army in Ferrara to Istria. HRE - The army in Carniola supports the army in Ferrara to go to Istria.

So you are correct olbaP. The message was there. My apologies if anyone was offended.

Edited 17 Apr, 2019 06:59